You’re moving and leaving NYC? Well, then you are probably aware that you need to do some budgeting, and soon. Defining a budget can be difficult if you’re not very good with finances, but it’s still an essential part of the move. You should have a clear idea of how much money you can spend on your relocation. Having a defined budget can help you with planning the move and making other decisions. In case you’re moving on a budget and you need to reduce moving costs, don’t fret. There are things to minimize the costs of the relocation. Here are some things that will help you save some money when moving.
Reduce moving costs by choosing the right moving company
If you’re planning on hiring movers NYC for your relocation, you should do a few things before making your decision.
- Find a few moving companies that seem reliable and compare them. Don’t just hire the first company you come across. Don’t remember to ask the movers to give you moving cost estimates.
- Ask people for recommendations and look at reviews before hiring a moving company. If you end up hiring a bad company, you definitely won’t lower your moving costs. Hiring inexperienced and unreliable movers can only lead to even more expenses.
- Keep in mind that, if a company is suspiciously cheaper than most, it might not be the right choice. Sometimes it’s better to spend a little more money to make sure you’ll get the best service. So, think twice before you hire cheap movers.
If you’re moving on a budget, you should do your research and be careful. Don’t make any rash, impulsive decisions.
Book the movers early or move off-season
The best thing to do if you want to hire Manhattan movers is to do it early. Once you’ve set a moving date, you should hire the movers as soon as possible. Some moving companies tend to give you a discount if you book them early. So, if you want to reduce moving costs, try not to procrastinate. You should also try to move off-season, if possible. Summer is the season of moving, so if you can avoid during the peak of the moving season, you might save some money. Try to book a date between September and May. If this isn’t possible, consider moving on a weekday or in the middle of the month.
Declutter your home to reduce moving costs
It can be difficult to say goodbye to some items. However, moving house is the perfect opportunity to be strict with yourself and get rid of everything you don’t need anymore. Why would you pay to move something you don’t need? Go through your things and figure out what you can live without. This won’t only lower moving costs, but it will also make the packing easier. So, you should do this before looking for free moving boxes.
Once you decide what you want to get rid of, decide how you’re going to do it. There are always things that should go directly in the trash, but some items don’t need to. Give some things to friends who need them, but remember that you can even earn some money on unnecessary things. Try to sell anything you don’t need. Organize a garage sale or put these things online. This way you’re not only cutting moving expenses, but you’re earning some coins at the same time.
Save money on packing supplies
When you’re getting packing supplies, there’s a way to save some money. You don’t have to go out and buy a bunch of boxes, tape and bubble pack. Instead, go to your local supermarkets, pharmacies, restaurants and office supply store and try to get free cardboard boxes. This shouldn’t be a problem because these places get regular deliveries and they don’t need all those boxes.
There’s a way to get free packing supplies online, too. Luckily for you, the Internet is a great place where you can find almost anything. There are websites like The Freecycle Network and Craigslist where people offer packing supplies for free. Finding websites like these can cut the costs of your move.
You can save even more money by utilizing things you already own. Use towels, clothes and linens to wrap your belongings instead of using newspapers or bubble pack. You don’t need to go out of your way to buy packing supplies when you already own useful things.
Pack on your own
If you want to reduce moving costs, you should avoid hiring professional packers – do it yourself instead! Of course, the pros will do it much quicker and they will reduce some of your stress. However, if you’re looking to reduce your moving expenses when moving out of New York, you can pack on your own. If packing seems overwhelming to you, here are a few tips that can help you.
- Pack one room at a time and stay focused.
- Categorize your things and make a packing plan.
- Wrap fragile and sharp objects before putting them in boxes.
- Label the boxes properly to load the truck with ease. Besides, labels will help you when you’re unpacking.
- Instead of paying the professionals, you should ask your friends to help you out. You’ll finish much quicker if you have some help. And after a job well done, you can go out and celebrate together.
Reduce moving costs when leaving NYC
As you can tell, there are many ways to reduce moving costs when leaving NYC. You just need to prioritize, define a budget and research all the ways to save your money. But don’t worry, you can move on a budget and avoid spending lots of money.